Feb 16-17 Nongkrem, Smit

We arrived in Nongkrem after schools had closed, so we made (we think) an impromptu visit to the nearby army base, home of the Assam Rifles. The Hill People are the Khasi, the fear is Bangladesh. The troops are mostly Hindi from 'mainland' India, so I think this serves as a reminder to all that the mission is peace. Many civilians are employed on base, and much construction has been underway for a decade, and the economic boost shows in Nongkrem. Gail and Lindy address the regular Wednesday night service briefly – Arnold Nongbrie does the translation honors in his home church. We stay across the street in Riana Nongbrie's house. Her grandfather founded the church. Some of the Nongbrie siblings reunite: Cream (looking uncharacteristically stern), Riana, Lindy's host (not a sib), Arnold and Dr. Donkuper, town physician from Smit, whose name I had previously forgotten.

Next morning, as Gail and Lindy visit schools and SHG's, I climb the hill behind the church. The rocks and the view are spectacular and remind me of home (Cape Ann). The arrow points to the church.

I must have overdone it, because my turn for an afternoon in bed came, after we drove on (in a cab) to nearby Smit. As I rested, I was lured out to take a picture of Raymond Khrian and Rev. Lincoln as they discussed Self Help Groups with Lindy and Gail. We stayed here with Raymond's mother, Drimai, and had a rousing discussion with her daughter Barisuk, a lawyer and political activist. Then we all went to the Smit church, where Gail and Lindy once again brought greetings from England and America – any finer geographic location is lost on most children and many adults. Smit is a smallish church, closely associated with Nongkrem, but has the distinction of having 100% female leadership – yes that's Barisuk as moderator. We only met her sister Rev. Darihun at the family compound because she is off duty for maternity leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.